Experience Shoulder Pain Relief with Our Chiropractor in Inver Grove Heights, MN at Cahil Back & Neck Center
Dr. Scott Stinson is a chiropractor in Inver Grove Heights MN with over 35 years of experience. With one of the longest careers in the area, he's met literally thousands of people suffering from common joint issues, including shoulder pain. If you or a loved one is dealing with acute or chronic shoulder dysfunction, we encourage you to schedule an appointment at Cahill Back and Neck Care Center so we can start helping your body do what it does best—heal itself.
Common Causes of Shoulder Pain
When dysfunction occurs in the shoulder, common symptoms include pain, stiffness, tenderness, swelling, weakness, arm/hand numbness, and reduced range of motion. Common diagnoses we see include:
- Dislocated Shoulder: the humeral head (ball of the joint) pops partially or fully out of the glenoid fossa (socket of the joint) and can damage and weaken the surrounding joint capsule and other tissues
- Shoulder Bursitis/Tendonitis: irritation of a bursa or tendon (often due to repetitive movement, poor posture, and overuse) can lead to inflammation, swelling, and pain
- Frozen Shoulder: a progressive loss of movement in the shoulder, usually following some sort of injury or infection in the shoulder
- Rotator Cuff Strain or Tear: many small muscles provide mobility and stability at the shoulder, but inflammation and damage can lead to issues like weakness, tenderness, bruising and an inability to move the arm
- Arthritis: common types of arthritis (joint inflammation) which can affect the shoulder include osteoarthritis (cartilage wear-down), gout (build-up of uric acid crystals in the shoulder), and septic arthritis (infection)
- Ligament and Labrum Tears and Sprains: ligaments in the shoulder are often sprained during falls or other types of personal injury; the labrum is a protective lining inside the joint and can tear, often due to a sports injury (CrossFit, contact sports, baseball, etc.)
How Our Inver Grove Heights Chiropractor Manages Shoulder Pain
Interestingly enough, shoulder pain is sometimes caused by dysfunction of the spine, such as whiplash or cervical nerve impingement. For this reason, chiropractic adjustments from our Inver Grove Heights chiropractor can directly relieve shoulder symptoms. Adjustments may also indirectly relieve shoulder pain by triggering the release of natural analgesic hormones.
Other services which help your body resolve shoulder pain include:
- Corrective exercises (for better strength and range of motion)
- Kinesiotaping (to stabilize shoulder alignment and improve local circulation)
- Electrical muscle stimulation (trigger pain relief by blocking noxious signals)